Friday, March 4, 2011

"I could make that."

My grandmother was obsessed with owls. She collected them her whole life. As in HUNDREDS of owls on shelves in every room, magnets on the fridge, pins on her collar, earrings...you get the idea. So when I was flying home for her funeral, I made these little felt pins for all of the girls to wear to the service.



A few years ago, I started making jewlery out of buttons. First were the necklaces (an idea I stole from Grace Rockwell), then the rings...



then the hair clips (the fabric from one of these is old pajamas)...



I got a little out of control with the button flowers for my hair (This is the first one I ever made. Check out that awesome job with the hot glue.)...



When I got sick of freehanding flowers with button centers,



I moved on to rosettes with snaps! (This was the prototype, made from the leftover satin from the tutu I made last year.)




After making 11 new flowers, I wore one in my hair every day this past week.



When I was at the Fancy Tiger looking for fabric to make those rosettes, I saw a girl wearing a scarf made of the same material that I covered my kitchen chairs with...she told me that it was a mobius scarf and that I could find the instructions on their blog. Man alive, I've made three so far...and I'm pretty sure it's my new addiction.



My mom still had the scraps from a quilt she made me, so I pieced together a super random and busy one...



Here's me wearing the first one that I made...still my favorite.



I cut my material into 1/8 of a yard so that I could wrap it three times, but if you do the 1/4 yard, it wraps twice. It's super easy...and I got enough material for FOUR scarves for $14.32. You know I love a bargain as much as I love a scarf!

2 comments:

Allison said...

Super cute scarves!!!! (and everything else!) Love your hat, too! I think that was so thoughtful of you to make the owl pins for your fam to wear at your Gma's funeral...I'm sure she was smiling down! :) You're such a crafty gal! Thanks for sharing your fun creations!

Nic said...

LOVE IT ALL!